Friday 12 October 2012

International Crochet Day Catch Up




Its been a busy time no doubt. Lots of creativity going on and between school holidays, work, crochet workshops and catching up with the girls, there's not been much time for anything else. Oh and yes we have discovered Pinterest! OMG! What a magnificent time spender! I have had many nights that I could have been blogging or actually creating something but I have chosen to be totally absorbed with wonderful imagery and inspiration way into the wee hours of the morning. It's SO fantastic! I must be careful though to ensure a balance.
And I really must get the birthday blogging done. It's nearly been a whole year since our retreat. It's coming, it really is.

But for now there is so much happening day to day and I have many 'oh I must blog that moments' yet none actually make it! Anyhow, lets get on with it. The bunting above was a gift for my friend's birthday. They have just renovated a caravan with original 70's turquiose vinyl upholstery. What else would you need but bunting! The wool is beautiful Bendigo Wool Mills pure wool which was very very cheap at a local sale and a joy to crochet with.

Really what I should be telling you about is how International Crochet Day went! Can't believe it was a whole month ago and I have done absolutely no follow up whatsoever. To the left is a pile of wool donated by ADRA, a local church group. They donated 4 shopping bags fulll which provided more than enough yarn to get through the 2 workshops and the creation of a handful of squares to contribute to the Community Crochet Blanket Project.
I was so proud of the event which we estimated about 80 lovely people attended between 11am and 3pm on a midweek day. A big thank you to everyone who came, shared, created and learnt. And also those who baked, check out this for a cake stand....
There was everything from Luscious Lemon Cake, Strawberry Jam Slice and Chocolate, Fig and Amaretto Cake, mmm, mmmm. One thing I didn't anticipate was how much of a distraction the cake table would be to the little people who attended and I hope it wasn't too much trouble for the mammas who had to pry little hands away from chocolate icing whilst trying to crochet. Next year we'll put the cake table up on the stage!
The local paper came and took a few snaps that made it onto page 4.
There was a fantastic kids corner which I would love to make in my own kids rooms. Mim's comfy couch cushions drapped in crochet goodness and a basket-full of toys from home kept young ones and mums happy. We really wanted the event to be totally inclusive of everyone, big and little.






We had a great display of books from our local library which I didn't even have a chance to look at. Although I think I have borrowed them all over the last 2 years!


Unfortunately these photos are the only ones I took. They all happened in the 5 mins before we started and there was NO time after that. People were lining up outside and kept coming in a very consistant stream throughout the day.

I ran 2 beginners workshops throughout the day with such wonderful results! I did explain that it took me 4hrs of undivided attention for me to teach myself one sunny day on my deck. I had the Patons Learn To Crochet book on my lap, a youtube tutorial ready to go on the computer and a determination to complete a granny square. FOUR HOURS I say! I only hope those who participated went straight hom and kept practising.
Now we can look forward to our quarterly crafternoons once again supported by the local council's arts director. Once every 3months we will hold a similar gathering which will embrace all crafts. An opportunity for us to gather, learn, make, share and create. The first of these will be held on the 12th of december and it'll either be too late or just in time for christmas! I can't wait to see what everyone brings.
xx Le xx

No comments:

Post a Comment